George Kalogeris, PhD
Associate Professor, EnglishSend a Message
Director of the Classics Minor
Co-Director of The Poetry Center with Jenny Barber
- PhD, Boston University
- MA, Boston University
- BS, Suffolk University
- Greek and Roman Literature in Translation
- Modern Lyric Poetry
- The Pastoral Tradition
- Guide to Greece: Poems, forthcoming Louisiana State University Press, Fall 2018.
- Dialogos: Paired Poems in Translation. Champaign, Illinois: Antilever Press, 2012. Forward by Rosanna Warren, Commentary by David Ferry.
- Camus: Carnets. Lyric poems based on the Notebooks of Albert Camus. Brooklyn, New York: Pressed Wafer Press, 2006.
Anthologized Poems and Translations
- So Little Time: Words and Images for a World in Climate Crisis. Edited by Dede Cummings, Forward by John Elder, Envoy by Bill McKibben. Green Writers Press, Vermont, 2014.
- Joining Music with Reason. Anthology of 34 British and American Poets. Oxford: 2004 - 2009. Edited by Christopher Ricks. Waywiser Press, 2010.
- Horace in English. Edited by Donald S. Carne-Ross. Penguin, 2006.
Book-Length Translations in Journals
- Three Secret Poems, by George Seferis. Special Feature: Harvard Review, #30, 2006. Introductory essays by David Ferry and David Ricks.
- Thrush, by George Seferis. Fulcrum, #6, Fall 2008.
Selected Critical Writing and Essays
- "So beautifully realized in a visible sheer grace of sharing: Review of Selected Poems by Ben Mazur, Mad Hat Press, 2017." Spoke. Spring, 2018.
- "Resistance as a form of Embrace: Review of Hymns and Qualms, by Peter Cole. New and Selected Poems and Translations. Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2017." Reviewed in Literary Matters, 10.1 Fall 2017.
- "The Horses of Achilles," Into English, Graywolf Press, October 2017.
- “Prophecy,” in Soundings, Essays on the Poetry of Melissa Green, Arrowsmith Press, 2016.
- "Book 17 of the Greek Anthology" by Greg Delanty. Reviewed in PN Review, April, 2015.
- Sibylline Sisters, Virgil’s Presence in Contemporary Women’s Writing, by Fiona Cox. Reviewed in Cambridge Classical Review, 2014.
- Metaphorical Grasp: The Poetry of Translation by Matthew Reynolds. Reviewed in Essays in Criticism, Oxford University Press, March, 2013.
- “Cavafy: The Trojans”, New Ohio Review, Volume 8, 2013.
- The Looking House, by Fred Marchant, Graywolf Press. Reviewed in Poetry International, January 2010.
- C.P. Cavafy. Collected Poems, by Daniel Mendelsohn. Alfred A. Knopf, 2009. Reviewed in The Critical Flame. September 2009.
- From Mist to Shadow, by Robert K. Johnson. Ibbetson Street Press, 2007. Reviewed in Poetry Porch Spring, 2007.
- Questions of Possibility: Contemporary Poetry and Poetic Form, by David Caplan. Reviewed in Essays in Criticism, Volume 57, 2007. Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Virgil's Aeneid, translated by David Ferry. University of Chicago Press, Fall 2017. Assisted in writing the Preface, as well as in editing of verse lines.
- Saint Medusa. Short Stories by Peter Caputo, Introduction by George Kalogeris. Pen and Anvil Press, 2015.
- Meringoff Prize for Poetry, Association of Literary Critics, Scholars and Writers, 2014.
- New Ohio Review Poetry Prize, 2013.
- Daniel Varoujan Award presented in honor of the Armenian victims of the Turkish Genocide, New England Poetry Club, 2008.
Poems, translations, and essays have appeared in a range of journals, including: Agni, Literary Imagination, Poetry, Ploughshares, Salamander, Essays in Criticism.