Research Professor of LawSend a Message
Dep. Public Defender, Lancaster County Public Defender Office, Lincoln, 1980-83; Staff Attorney, Nebraska Advocacy Services, Lincoln, 1983-84; Private Practice, Sole, Lincoln, 1983-84; Supervisory Attorney, Civil Clinical Program - Nebraska, Lincoln, 1983; Director, 1984; Visiting Assistant Professor, Nebraska, 1984-85; Assistant Professor, West Virginia University, 1985-88; Associate Professor, 1988-90; Professor, 1990-92; Visiting Professor, Boston University, 1992-93; Visiting Professor, Suffolk, 1993-94; Professor, since 1994; Research Associate, Five Colleges Women’s Studies Center, 2005-2006; Fellow, Brandeis University Women’s Studies Center, 2009.
- BA, Clark University
- MA, Tufts University
- JD, University of Nebraska
- Hosanna-Tabor, the Ministerial Exemption, and Losses of Equality: Constitutional Law and Religious Privilege in the U.S., 2 OXFORD J.L. & RELIGION (2015).
- Realities of Religio-Legalism: Religious Courts and Women's Rights in canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States, 20 U.C. DAVIS J. INT'L. L. & POL'Y 139 (2014) (with Anissa Helie)
- Philosphy, Feeling, and American Novels: An Essay on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, 37 LEGAL STUD. F. , SUPP. 1 63 (2013)
- Multiculturalist Liberalism and Harms to Women: Looking Through the Issue of "The Veil", 19 U.C. DAVIS J. INT'L. L & POL'Y 101 (2012)
- Women's Wrongs, Religions' Rights: Women, Free Exercise, and Establishment in American Law, 21 TEMP. POL. & CIV. RTS. L. REV. 163 (2011)
- Privacy and Prurience: An Essay on American Law, Religion, and Women, 51 AM. J. LEGAL HIST. 461 (2011)
- Beyond Nomos and Narrative: Unconverted Antinomianism in the Work of Susan Howe, 18 YALE J.L. & FEMINISM 101 (2006)
- Limits of Tolerance: Law and Religion after "The Anti-Christ", 24 CARDOZO L. REV. 587 (2003)
- Church-State Relations in Crisis: Debating Neutrality, LAW & POL. BOOK REV. (2002)
- Prison-House of Prison-Houses: Incarceration in Theory and in Practice, 53 RUTGERS L. REV. 437 (2001)
- Child Abuse: A Proflem for Feminist Theory, 2 TEX. J. WOMEN & L. 75 (1993) (with Naomi Cahn)
- "Bad Mothers," "Good Lawyers," and "Legal Ethics", 81 :7 GEORGETOWN L.J. (1993)
- The "Bad Mother" in Law and Literature: A Problem of Representation, 43 HASTINGS L.J. (1992)
- Abortion of Narrative: A Reading of the Judgment of Solomon, 4 YALE J.L. & FEMINISM 81 (1991)
- Inventing Choreographies: Deconstruction and Feminism, 90 COLUMBIA L. REV. 1123 (1990) (book review)
- Zig-Zag Stitching and the Seamless Web: Thoughts on "Reproduction" and Law, 13 NOVA L. REV. 355 (1989)
- Law-Language of Maternity: Discourse Holding Nature in Contempt, 22 NEW ENG. L. REV. 521 (1988)
- Conversation and Abortion, a Review Essay on Mary Ann Glendon,Abortion and Divorce in Western Law, 82 NW. U.L. REV. 387 (1988)
- Mind's Opportunity: Birthing a Poststructuralist Feminist Jurisprudence, 38 SYRACUSE L. REV. 1129 (1987)
- "Bad Mothers" and Welfare Reform in Massachusetts: The Case of Clarabel Ventura, in FEMINISM, MEDIA AND THE LAW (Martha A. Fineman and Martha T. McCluskey eds., 1997)
- Poststructuralism and Feminist Jurisprudence, in LEGAL STUDIES AS CULTURAL STUDIES (Jerry Leonard ed., 1995)
- Postmodernism, Legal Ethics and Representation of "Bad Mothers", in MOTHERS IN LAW: FEMINIST THEORY AND THE LEGAL REGULATION OF MOTHERHOOD (Martha A. Fineman and Isabel Karpin eds., 1995)
- The Bell Jar and the Ghost of Ethel Rosenburg, in SECRET AGENTS: THE ROSENBERG CASE, MCCARTHYISM AND FIFTIES AMERICA (Marjorie B. Garber and Rebecca L. Walkowitz eds., 1995)
- At Work in the House of the Law, 59 University of Colorado Law Review, No. 2, 1988.
Member, Order of the Coif.