Amy Monticello, MFA
Associate Professor, EnglishSend a Message
On sabbatical, spring 2022
Program Director, First-Year Seminar
- MFA, The Ohio State University
- BA, Ithaca College
- Creative Nonfiction
- Forms of the Essay
- Narrative Theory
- Narrative and Medicine
- True Crime
- Literary Publishing
- How to Euthanize a Horse. Arcadia Press, 2018.
- Close Quarters. Chapbook. Sweet Publications, 2012.
- Tuscaloosa Writes This, “Communing with Cancer,” Eds. Brian Oliu and Patti White, Slash Pine Press, 2013.
- Going Om, “Against the Pursuit of Happiness,” Ed. Melissa Carroll, Viva Editions/Cleis Press, 2014.
Selected Journal Publications, Creative Nonfiction
- “How to Tell the Story of an Ordinary Death,” The Los Angeles Review of Books.
- “The Reduced World,” Under the gum tree.
- “Not Nothing,” Brevity.
- “My Only Child Scatters My Ashes,” CALYX.
- "Resuscitate." Hotel Amerika.
- “A New and Magical Life.” The Rumpus.
- “Shame.” Brevity. Issue 45.
- “Loving Captain Corcoran.” Stone Canoe.
Winner of the 2013 S.I. Newhouse School Prize in Creative Nonfiction.
- “Letters From My Father.” Brain, Child Magazine.
- “Moderation is the Key,” Prime Number.
- “The Other Woman,” The Iron Horse Literary Review.
Listed as Notable in Best American Essays 2013.
- “Chimney Swift.” Sweet: A Literary Confection.
- “All the Ways We Fool Ourselves.” Waccamaw.
Nominated for Pushcart Prize.
- "The New Greek Chorus: Collective Characters in Creative Nonfiction." Assay: A Journal of Nonfiction Studies.
- “Writing the Apple: A Roundtable Discussion with Michelle Herman, Heather Kirn Lanier, Amy Monticello, and Joe Oestreich,” Creative Nonfiction.
- “In Defense of the Confessional: Parenting, Inclusivity, and J.D. Schraffenberger’s ‘Droppies Babies’.” Essay Daily.
- “More Than One True Thing.” Waccamaw.
- “The Place Where Opposing Instincts Meet.” Tuscaloosa Writes This. Eds. Brian Oliu and Patti White, Slash Pine Press, 2013.
- "Teaching Brevity: Pennies in My Pocket." Brevity blog.
- “My Favorite Essay to Teach: Dear Sugar #39: ‘The Baby Bird.’” Assay: A Journal of Nonfiction Studies.
- "The Advice Column Two Ways: First-Year Writing and Creative Nonfiction." During Office Hours.
- “Playing the Odds.” Writing: Ten Core Concepts. Robert P. Yagelski. Albany, NY: Cengage Learning, 2018.
- Against the Pursuit of Happiness.” Going Om: Real Life Stories On and Off the Yoga Mat. Ed. Melissa Carroll. Jersey City, NJ: Viva Editions, 2014.
- "Communing with Cancer.” Tuscaloosa Writes This. Ed. Brian Oliu. Tuscaloosa, AL: Slash Pine Press, 2013.