Anne Schnader, DBA, CPA
Associate Professor, Accounting & Business LawSend a Message
Dr. Anne Schnader has focused her research and service efforts on the public interest. As a published researcher she has focused on the role of accountants and auditors in protecting the investing public. She has published numerous works on auditing and internal controls at Broker-Dealers, who handle investment transactions in the United States for both institutional and retail investors. Her work has appeared in well regarded journals in the accounting space such as Contemporary Accounting Research, Accounting Horizons, Current Issues in Auditing, and Accounting and the Public Interest.
At Suffolk University, Dr. Schnader serves as the Director of the Undergraduate Accounting Practicum program and is the past-chair of the Sawyer Business School Teaching Committee. She primarily teaches in the Master of Science in Accounting program where she teaches the MSA capstone course, which expands the MSA curriculum into developing areas of accounting practice such as Environmental, Social, and Governance reporting, and teaches Big Data and Financial Statement Analysis.
Beyond her academic responsibilities, Dr. Schnader is the Director of a family office, where she manages estate, legal, investment, and tax planning for her clients. She has also served on the Investment Committee for Green D Ventures, a venture capital fund.
Honors and Recognitions
- 2011 PwC INQuiries Award for Research
- 2008 PwC INQuiries Award for Research
- 2008 Andrews Best Paper Award, American Accounting Association - Ohio
- President-elect, Public Interest section of the American Accounting Association (2020 - present)
- Associate Editor, Accounting and the Public Interest (2015 - present)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Theoretical Accounting Research (2008 - present)
- Editorial Board, Issues in Accounting Education (2012 - present)
- Annual Meeting Conference Co-Chair, Public Interest Section, American Accounting Association (2020)
- Mid-year Conference Research Session Coordinator, International Section, American Accounting Association (2011)
- Vice-Chair of Research (2016-2020) and the Vice-Chair of Education (2015-2016), American Accounting Association
- JCRC, Board of Directors, Audit and Finance Committee (2015-2019)
- Green D Ventures, Investment Committee (2016-2018)
- Dartmouth College Alumni , Board, various years
Recent Intellectual Contributions
Schnader, A. L., Bedard, J. C., & Cannon, N. H. (2019). Auditor reporting and regulatory sanctions in the Broker‐Dealer industry: From Self‐Regulation to PCAOB oversight. Contemporary Accounting Research, 36(4), 2554-2587.
Kowaleski, Z. T., Cannon, N. H., Schnader, A. L., & Bedard, J. C. (2018). The Continuing Evolution of Auditor Reporting in the Broker-Dealer Industry: Issues and Opportunities. Current Issues in Auditing, 12(2), A12–A26.
Schnader, A. L., Westermann, K. D., Downey, D. H., & Thibodeau, J. C. (2016). Training teacher-scholars: A mentorship program. Issues in Accounting Education, 31(2), 171.
Schnader, A. L., Bedard, J. C., & Cannon, N. (2015). The Principal-Agent Dilemma: Reframing the Auditor’s Role Using Stakeholder Theory. Accounting & the Public Interest, 15(1), 22–26.
- Anne Schnader's Intellectual Contributions [PDF]