Lance Swenson, PhD
Associate Professor, PsychologySend a Message
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia
- MA, University of Missouri, Columbia
- BS, University of Georgia, Athens
Internship: Brown University Clinical Psychology Training Consortium; Postdoctoral Fellowship: Brown University School of Medicine, Center for Alcohol & Addiction Studies.
NSSI and suicidality, socioemotional development, developmental psychopathology
My research examines risk and protective factors related to self-harm, with a particular focus on non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI). Recently I have been studying how health-related behaviors (e.g., physical activity/exercise and dietary habits) are related to NSSI severity. Other recent and ongoing studies that my students and I are engaged in include linkages between NSSI and alcohol use, social affiliative behavior, sexual orientation, and developmental trajectories. My work in this area more generally is grounded in a developmental psychopathology framework emphasizing connections between normative and atypical developmental processes as well as the reciprocal associations between behavior and the environment.
- Jarvi, S. M., Batejan, K. B., & Swenson, L. P. (2017). Motivation for and use of social networking sites: Comparisons among college students with and without histories of non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of American College Health, 65, 306-312. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2017.1312410
- Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2016). The role of positive expectancies in risk behavior: An exploration of alcohol use and non-suicidal self-injury. Crisis, 38, 115-122. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000471
- Batejan, K. L., Swenson, L. P., Jarvi, S. M., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2015). Perceptions of the functions of non-suicidal self-injury in a college sample. Crisis, 36, 338-344. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000332
- Batjean, K. L., Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2015). Sexual orientation and non-suicidal self-injury: A meta-analytic review. Archives of Suicide Research, 19, 131 – 150. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2014.957450
- Muehlenkamp, J. J., Swenson, L. P., Batejan, K. L., & Jarvi, S. M. (2015). Emotional and behavioral effects of participating in an online study of non-suicidal self-injury: An experimental analysis. Clinical Psychological Science, 3, 26-37. doi: 10.1177/2167702614531579