Bryan Trabold, PhD
Associate Professor, EnglishSend a Message
- PhD, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- MA, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- BA, George Washington University
- Rhetoric and history of the South African and international anti-apartheid movement
- Rhetorical theory
- Literacy studies
- Composition theory
- Rhetorics of Resistance: Opposition Journalism in Apartheid South Africa. University of Pittsburgh Press. 2018.
- Literacy, Economy, and Power: Writing and Research Ten Years after Literacy in American Lives. Edited collection. John Duffy, Julie Nelson Christoph, Eli Goldblatt, Nelson Graff, Rebecca S. Nowacek, and Bryan Trabold. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 2014.
Articles and Selected Essays
- "'A Willingness to Put a Knife in Its Own Back': Advertising, Self-Censorship, and the Weekly Mail's Resistance in Apartheid South Africa." African Journalism Studies. (September, 2017). 159-177.
- “Historical Narratives as a Rhetoric of Resistance in Apartheid South Africa: The History Workshop and the New Nation.” South African Historical Journal. 62.4 (December, 2010): 735-752.
- “Walking the Cliff’s Edge: New Nation’s Rhetoric of Resistance in Apartheid South Africa.” College Composition and Communication. 61.2 (December, 2009) w100-w124.
- “’Hiding Our Snickers’: Weekly Mail Journalists’ Indirect Resistance in Apartheid South Africa” College English 68.4 (March, 2006): 382-406.