Master of Science in Taxation (MST)
FULL-TIME | PART-TIME
While earning your MST at Suffolk, you’ll:
- Learn from industry experts who are each a mix of practitioners and accomplished scholars, including CPAs and attorneys who practice in the public, corporate, and government sectors
- Study from a curriculum that aligns with professional practice
- Develop the research skills needed for effective tax planning
- Specialize in dealing with either large or local firms
- Take courses based on your schedule, either online or in person, thanks to our flexible program structure
Suffolk’s MST is designed for those who have a background in accounting as well as those who don't. And whether you’re a working professional or a full-time student, our class schedule is designed to meet your needs.
MST Program Overview
Suffolk's Master's in Taxation
In Suffolk's MST program, students not only understand the law and tax compliance, but also delve deeper into the study of tax planning and tax policy. They also develop the research skills needed for effective tax planning in today's global environment of vastly diverse and highly complicated tax structures. These highly valued and marketable skills make our MST essential for a career in taxation.
MST Elective Tracks
Develop your analytical skills further and gain the professional expertise that top firms demand by choosing one of the two elective tracks within the Suffolk MST program. Each of these help you gain the skills and knowledge to distinguish you from the pack with a future-focused skill set, while further specializing your knowledge and dexterity for the type of firm you'd like to join.
Dive into the intricacies of federal tax and prepare to work in a large multinational, multi-state firms.
Specialize in the types of scenarios that smaller and local firms, that cater to smaller businesses and individuals, look for.
Our 4+1 programs are just as flexible, practice-oriented, and network-driven as our undergraduate programs, but you earn your advanced degree at an accelerated rate. If you’re a senior working towards an undergraduate business degree or a recent graduate, you may qualify to earn your Master of Science in Taxation (MST) or in Accounting (MSA) in as few as 9 months, or your MST/MSA or MST/MBA in as few as 16 months. Learn more about our 4+1 programs.
- Have access to business leaders at top firms and companies during and after your studies, thanks to Suffolk’s accomplished faculty and extensive alumni networks
- Take classes when they’re most convenient to your busy life, even in the evening or online
- Finish your advanced degree sooner, and get more real-world experience to land that top job or internship while you’re at it
While studying as part of Suffolk's MST program, you'll also have access to our EDGE Professional Development workshops. Led by executive coaches and corporate consultants, these workshops will help you build your resume, expand your network, write a cover letter, polish your interview skills, and more.
Applying to Suffolk's MST Program
Fall Semester: March 15 (priority), then rolling
Spring Semester: October 15 (priority), then rolling
Summer Semester: April 1 (priority), then rolling
Learn about the advantages of priority applications.
- Completed online application
- $50 application fee
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary education
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary education
- Goal statement (essay)
- Letter of recommendation (learn more)
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE-Academic Scores (international students only)
Cost of Graduate School at Suffolk
Full-Time, per semester
|Cost Per Credit (2019-2020)
For Part-Time students
|% of Students Receiving Financial Aid Per year||69%|
|Average Financial Aid Awarded Per year||$22,520|
Advising & Other Resources
Suffolk University offers graduate students—incoming, current, and alumni—help with navigating financial aid and payments, searching for career opportunities, and building a strong professional network. Our Graduate Student Services team supports you every step of the way with various services including application advising, financial aid counseling, international student resources, and other resources such as the Career Development Center or the Center for Learning and Academic Success. We also offer you value-added professional development workshops to bolster your experiential education and other professional skills while studying at Suffolk University.
Program faculty, including Professor James Angelini and Professor Michaele Morrow, have been actively sought out by the media to offer their insight.
- James Angelini offered tips for taxpayers in the Boston Globe
- Angelini also gave his take to the Boston Globe on the impact of the tax bill on home equity loans
- Angelini joined NPR’s Morning Edition on WBUR to share his views on the impact of the federal tax bill on Massachusetts
- Michaele Morrow offered her take on the housing market impact for the Boston Globe
- Morrow also gave her take regarding how much corporations like Netflix and Amazon might be paying in federal taxes to siliconvalley.com.