Master of Science in Taxation (MST)
FULL-TIME | PART-TIME
While earning your MST at Suffolk, you’ll:
- Learn from a mix of practitioners and accomplished scholars, including CPAs and attorneys who practice in the public, corporate, and government sectors
- Study from a curriculum that is aligned with professional practice and shaped by the cutting-edge industry trends identified by our Young Alumni Advisory Board
- Gain a strong foundation in accounting principles and an understanding of tax law and tax compliance
- Develop the research skills needed for effective tax planning in today's global environment of vastly diverse and highly complicated tax structures
- Specialize in large or local firms or choose electives that prepare you for the CPA exam
Suffolk’s MST is designed for those who have a background in accounting as well as those who don't. Whether you’re a working professional or a full-time student, our class schedule is designed to meet your needs.
Why Get a Master's in Taxation?
A master’s degree in taxation is especially valuable in the modern economy. According to the American Institute of CPAs, there is a projected gap in the number of open jobs in relation to the number of qualified tax specialists. This gap exists because not enough students are choosing to specialize in taxation.
According to Glassdoor, tax manager is the second-best job in the nation in terms of compensation per education level attained. Tax professionals with a master’s degree can expect as much as a 5-15% bump in salary over those who hold a bachelor’s degree alone.
MST Program Overview
Suffolk's Master's in Taxation
Qualified tax professionals are always in high demand. Our downtown location is at the hub of the financial district—and within one mile of each of the Big Four firms—providing limitless opportunities for networking, internships, and employment.
In as few as 9 months (full-time) or 21 months (part-time) our MST graduates go on to pursue rewarding and successful careers in taxation. Whether you choose to pursue work in a corporate setting, public tax accounting, or in private tax consulting, Suffolk’s MST gives you the business fundamentals and expertise to stay at the front of the cutting-edge field of taxation.
MST Elective Tracks
Develop your skills further and gain the professional expertise that top firms demand by choosing one of the two concentrations within the Suffolk MST program. Each of these help you gain the skills and knowledge to distinguish you from the pack with a future-focused skill set, while further specializing your knowledge and dexterity for the type of firm you'd like to join.
Dive into the intricacies of federal tax and prepare to work in a large multinational, multi-state firms.
Specialize in the types of scenarios that smaller and local firms, that cater to smaller businesses and individuals, look for.
If you’re a senior working towards an undergraduate business degree or a recent graduate, you may qualify to earn your Master of Science in Taxation (MST) or in Accounting (MSA) in as few as 9 months, or your MST/MSA or MST/MBA in as few as 16 months. Learn more about our 4+1 programs.
We are 1 of only 187 institutions around the globe—and the only school in Boston—to maintain a supplemental Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) Accreditation for our accounting programs.
|Average starting salary||$81,833|
|Employed within 6 months of graduation*||92.3%|
|Employed within 1 year of graduation*||100%|
|Graduates* employed in degree-related positions||92.3%|
*Class of 2017-2018 Graduates
Advising & Other Resources
Suffolk University offers graduate students—incoming, current, and alumni—help with navigating financial aid and payments, searching for career opportunities, and building a strong professional network. Our Graduate Student Services team supports you every step of the way with various services including application advising, financial aid counseling, international student resources, and other resources such as the Career Development Center or the Center for Learning and Academic Success. We also offer you value-added professional development workshops to bolster your experiential education and other professional skills while studying at Suffolk University.
Program faculty, including Professor James Angelini, have been actively sought out by the media to offer their insight.
- James Angelini offered tips for taxpayers in the Boston Globe
- Angelini also gave his take to the Boston Globe on the impact of the tax bill on home equity loans
- Angelini joined NPR’s Morning Edition on WBUR to share his views on the impact of the federal tax bill on Massachusetts
Applying to Suffolk's MST Program
Fall Semester: March 15 (priority), then rolling
Spring Semester: October 15 (priority), then rolling
Summer Semester: April 1 (priority), then rolling
Learn about the advantages of priority applications.
- Completed online application
- $50 application fee (waived for students who visit campus)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary education
- Goal statement (essay)
- Letter of recommendation (learn more)
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE-Academic Scores (international students only)
Cost of Graduate School at Suffolk
Full-Time, per semester
|Cost Per Credit (2019-2020)
For Part-Time students
Courses & Requirements
Learn more about the classes, requirements, and different options available to complete the program.