The Infrastructure Group maintains virtualized servers as an alternative to physical servers. Taking advantage of virtualization technology allows us to host multiple virtual servers, each of which functions as a complete and independent server, on a single physical server. The virtualization platform is a centralized VMware environment that provides virtual servers to both Information Technology supported services as well as applications and services supported by departments across campus.
- Enterprise solutions at a low cost built on enterprise caliber servers, networking, and storage.
- Scalability and flexibility over physical servers allowing maintenance and upgrades to the background hardware without incurring downtime.
- Hardware high availability due to redundant backend hardware.
- Faster server deployment since there is no need to purchase, install or configure hardware.
- Improved utilization of staff by freeing them to refocus on the mission of the organization rather than on hardware acquisition, maintenance and support.
- Supports campus green initiative saving power, cooling and data center space.