Pre-program & Non-degree Options
Management Advancement Professional Studies (MAPS)
For Prospective MBA, MMS, MSA, MSBA, MSF, MSFSB, MSM, & MST Students
As part of the MAPS program, if you have at least one year of full-time work experience and a GPA of 2.8 or higher, you may be eligible to enroll in up to two approved courses for the MBA, MMS, MSA, MSBA, MSF, MSFSB, MSM, or MST before formally applying.
Prospective students are strongly encouraged to speak with a program representative before applying to MAPS to ensure that the classes they wish to take are appropriate to their potential program of study.
- Enroll in courses prior to taking the GMAT or GRE
- On a limited, selective basis, individuals with strong undergraduate academic performance and a minimum of one year of full-time work experience have the opportunity of enrolling in a maximum of six credits of MBA core courses, MSF prerequisite courses, or MSA management preparation courses or select Business Analytics courses while preparing for their GMAT or GRE. If a participant subsequently is admitted to and meets all formal admission requirements for the Suffolk MBA, MSBA, MSF, MSFSB, or MSA, the six credits taken in MAPS will be credited toward their degree.
- Completed applications MUST be received a minimum of three weeks prior to the first day of class in any given semester or summer term.
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations, this option is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Financial aid is not available for MAPS students because it is not a degree program.
Admission Criteria & Instructions
- Minimum 2.8 GPA
- Minimum one year professional work experience
- Interview (for MBA program only)
- Submission of the following as directed below:
- MAPS application
- Copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Official transcripts are highly recommended.
- One letter of recommendation
- Please either mail or drop off the other required documents:
Walk-In & Mail: Office of Graduate Admission, 73 Tremont Street, 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02108 Monday-Friday, 8:45 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- For questions, please call at 617-573-8302 or email us.
- If admitted, you must have an advising appointment (via phone or in person).
- You will be issued a University ID number.
Continuing And Professional Studies Program (CAPS)
For Prospective College of Arts & Sciences, MPA, and MHA Students
Students intending to pursue a graduate degree in these select programs may take a maximum of two graduate courses before applying for degree status.
- CAPS students may take up to 6 credits in any graduate class in the Public Administration or Health Administration department or any CAS class outside of the Psychology and Counseling departments.
- CAPS Students may only take courses without course prerequisites.
- Financial aid, both institutional and federal, is not available for non-degree programs. Similarly, we cannot issue immigration documents for non-degree programs
Admission Criteria & Instructions
- Once they have identified the CAPS option they'd like to apply to, new CAPS students should create a specific CAPS application account and apply online.
- Submit proof of a bachelor's degree in the form of a transcript to the Office of Graduate Admission via:
- Online: Upload a scanned copy into the online application
- Mail: 8 Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108
- Fax: 617-305-1733
- Walk-In: 73 Tremont Street, 6th Floor Monday-Friday, 8:45 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
- Contact the Office of Graduate Admission at 617-573-8302 or email us with any questions.
- Successful applicants will receive a letter via their applicant portal that includes their University ID number.
If you’re a graduate student in good academic standing at another AACSB-accredited institution, you can take a course at Sawyer Business School and transfer the credit to your university. If the Suffolk course you select indicates a prerequisite, you must demonstrate via transcripts that you meet the prerequisite. You can take courses at our main campus in Boston, and online. To determine if your current university or school is AACSB-accredited, please visit the Global Listing page on the AACSB website.
Visiting students must provide the following:
- A letter (on official university letterhead) from your business school Dean indicating:
- That you’re in good academic standing
- The specific Suffolk Business School course(s) you will enroll in
- That the indicated course(s) will transfer to your home program
- Copies of your graduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable, but official transcripts are highly recommended.
How to Apply
- You should create an application account and apply online selecting the MAPS application.
- Fill out the online application and upload your transcripts and the letter from your Dean.
- Once your application has been approved, you will receive a decision letter through your application portal with next steps and your student identification number
- After the identification number has been issued, you will be instructed to contact the Office of the Bursar at 617-573-8407 to make a payment. Payment is required in full at the time of registration.
- Once payment has been submitted, please contact the Office of the Registrar to complete the course registration process at 617-573-8430, or via email.
Contact the Office of Graduate Admission at 617-573-8302 with questions about graduate programs or admission policies, the Registrar's Office at 617-573-8430 with questions about registration procedures or course availability, and the Office of the Bursar at 617-573-8407 with questions about tuition fees and payment policies.
If you have any questions or concerns please email Emily Pytka, Assistant to the Dean of Graduate Programs.
Search for Classes
Look up classes in the College of Arts & Sciences or Sawyer Business School. Select the term and subjects, as well as "GRAD" for the 'Course Levels' option.