Suffolk Madrid Campus FAQs

Have questions about Suffolk University's Madrid Campus or our study abroad programs? Look below to see if yours has been answered ahead of time.

If you have other questions that aren't featured in this list, please contact our office.

Is Suffolk University Madrid Campus accredited in both the United States and Spain?

Yes. Suffolk University Madrid is accredited by the New England New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). In Spain, Suffolk Madrid is authorized by the Consejería de Educación y Cultura de la Comunidad de Madrid, the official educational body within the Madrid regional government. For more details, see Accreditation.

Do I need to be able to speak Spanish to study at the Suffolk Madrid Campus?

Definitely not. All classes at Suffolk University Madrid Campus, except Spanish language and culture courses, are taught in English. All students who begin their first year of university studies are expected to have a good level of English. We offer Spanish language courses at all levels, from elementary to advanced. We believe that students will have a far more rewarding experience in Spain if they learn Spanish. All Suffolk University Madrid students are required to take at least one course in Spanish while they are here. This rule does not apply to study abroad students from other colleges/universities. 

Is it difficult to obtain a Spanish student visa?

Applying to any government office for anything can be time-consuming. The winning strategy is to be well prepared before applying for the Spanish student visa. Students with citizenship from outside the European Union will be required to obtain a Spanish student visa from the Spanish consulate nearest their home prior to coming to Spain. Students needing such a visa will receive certification of their admission to Suffolk University Madrid campus as part of the documentation to be submitted in the visa application process. The Spanish consulate may require proof of full payment of all University fees (including tuition and housing) for at least the first semester before the visa will be granted. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Spanish consulate in order to ascertain the other necessary documentation, as well as the length of the visa application process.

I am an American citizen living in Germany with my parents. My American father works for a large multinational company based in Germany. All of us in the family are legal residents of Germany. Do I need a Spanish student visa?

No. Because you are a legal resident of a European Union country, you do not need a Spanish student visa.

Can I apply for and obtain a Spanish student visa once I arrive in Spain?

No. You must apply for and obtain your Spanish student visa in your home country before coming to Spain. Any student who has been admitted to Suffolk Madrid and who arrives on campus without a valid Spanish student visa will not be permitted to enroll in or attend classes.

Does the Madrid Campus offer graduate studies or a graduate program?

Suffolk University Madrid Campus does not offer any graduate programs. Our Boston Campus, however, offers a full array of graduate and doctoral programs

Does Suffolk University Madrid Campus offer pre-med?

Suffolk University Madrid offers a selection of courses that can be taken by pre-law, pre-chiropractor, pre-dental, pre-medical, pre-optometry, and pre-veterinary students who intend to complete their studies at schools specifically devoted to these subjects.