Suffolk University Retired Friends (SURF)
Statement of Purpose
Suffolk University Retired Friends (SURF) is created to encourage and sustain ongoing interest in, and engagement with, the University and each other.
The following are its principal purposes:
- To provide a link between retired employees, the University and the greater University community
- To make appropriate University resources available to retired employees so they can continue to be engaged in the life of the Suffolk community
- To provide the opportunity for social interaction among retired employees and to provide access to campus events
- To encourage and provide opportunities for retired employees to donate their time and resources to appropriate University activities
- To support and represent the University to the larger external community
All retired employees are considered part of SURF and have access to any of the programs and services offered. Current activities of SURF include:
- Publishing a directory of retirees
- Holding a President’s reception in May and a Founder’s Day lunch in September
- Allowing retirees to get a Suffolk University e-mail address (those with emeritus/emerita status kept their e-mail addresses after retirement)
Retirees are also invited to receive a Suffolk Retiree ID, are included in campus communications such as Inside Suffolk, and will receive invitations to appropriate campus events such as Ford Hall Forum, Suffolk Weekend, Heritage Medallion Ceremony.
The Directory lists all retirees who have agreed to share their contact information. In addition to addresses and telephone numbers it includes department/office and years of employment. It also lists the names of retirees who have not yet agreed to share their contact information as well as retirees who have passed away. For the purposes of the Directory, a retiree is someone who worked at Suffolk for at least 5 years and left employment after age 62.
Suffolk University e-Mail Address & ID
If you are a retiree who wishes to have a Suffolk e-mail address or if you would like to have a Suffolk retiree ID, please Human Resources for an e-mail address and contact Suffolk Police in Sargent Hall for a retiree ID.
SURF Committee Members
(as of April, 2023)
John Berg, Government
John Deliso, Law School Dean’s Office
Bob DiGuardia, ITS and ISOM
Ken Garni, Counseling Center
Vicki Karns, Communication & Journalism
Myra Lerman. SBS Dean’s Office
Fred Marchant, English
Tony Merzlak, English
Jim Nelson, Athletics
Chris Perry, Financial Aid
Patricia Reeve, History
Richard Torrisi, SBS Dean’s Office
Nancy Stoll, Student Affairs, Convener