Property Damage / Theft

If departmental property is damaged or lost, contact Risk Management first to determine if University insurance covers it. If we estimate the damage to be in excess of the University’s property insurance deductible, your department will be asked to provide receipts and/or invoices for all labor and materials. Replacement items must be bought and repairs completed before a department can be reimbursed for damages.

Faculty and Staff Personal Property

The University’s property insurance covers an employee's personally-owned items when those items are considered essential to the employee’s duties, and the items are damaged or stolen on University premises. For example, certain books that a professor has personally purchased and brought onto University property as part of his/her curriculum or research may be covered.

Suffolk expects each employee to have his or her own insurance coverage for valuable items, such as a rare book or manuscript.

The Suffolk University mail room acts as a receiver only for University-owned or -leased property, and will not be responsible for any lost or damaged personal items shipped to the University.

Student Property

Suffolk University's insurance does not extend to the personal property of its students, and reimbursement will only be considered when the damage/loss is a result of the University's actions. However, limited insurance against damage and/or theft is provided to RESIDENT STUDENTS through a fee already included in their residence assessment. RESIDENT STUDENTS should see the Undergraduate Student Handbook for CAS & SBS students for details on coverage, making a claim, etc.