Excess Course Petition
Fall and Spring Sessions
Undergraduate students may take up to 17 credits in the fall or spring semesters as part of a normal full-time course load. Students who meet the following criteria can register for a maximum of 18 credits, without needing prior approval:
- Have been in attendance at Suffolk for two full semesters (not including summer) and
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or better
Undergraduate students may take a maximum of 16 credits during the entirety of a summer semester, but may not exceed 8 credits in any one or combination of the following sets of summer modules: Module A, Module 1, and Module 3; or Module A, Module 2, and Module 3.
Excess Course Petition Guidelines
Students who do not meet the above criteria or who wish to enroll in excess credits (maximum of 20 credits) must complete the online Excess Course Petition Form
- Requests must be made at least 5 business days before the start of the semester/summer module you are requesting
- The petition may take up to 5 business days to be fully reviewed
- Petitions will not be reviewed after the ADD period has ended
Please note: You should plan to utilize your own resources to cover any additional costs you may incur as a result of excess course charges. Financial Aid recipients may contact the student financial services office to determine if loan funds might be available to meet additional costs. However, loan disbursement amounts, dates, etc. cannot be altered as a result of excess courses.