Fred Marchant, PhD
Professor Emeritus, EnglishSend a Message
Director of The Suffolk University Poetry Center
- PhD, University of Chicago
- MA, University of Chicago
- BA, Brown University
- Modern and Contemporary Poetry
- The Lyric Genre
- Twentieth Century Literature
- The Vietnam War
- Contemporary Vietnamese Literature
- Contemporary Irish Poetry
- The Pedagogy of Creative Writing
- The Looking House. Minneapolis, MN: Gray Wolf Press, 2009.
- Another World Instead: The Early Poems of William Stafford, 1937-1947. Minneapolis, MN: Gray Wolf Press, 2008.
- Full Moon Boat. Minneapolis, MN: Gray Wolf Press, 2000.
- House on Water, House in Air. Dublin: Dedalus Press, 2002.
- From a Corner of My Yard (poems in translation) by Tran Dang Khoa, co-translated with Nguyen Ba Chung
- Tipping Point, Washington, D.C.: The Word Works, 1993. (Winner of the 1993 Washington Prize)
- Essays and poetry in journals, ranging from AGNI and Ploughshares to New American Writing and Irish Pages.
Scholarly and Artistic Activities
- Director, The Suffolk University Poetry Center
- Teaching Associate, The William Joiner Center for the Study of War and Social Consequences at UMass-Boston
- Annual Guest Teacher, The Veterans Writing Group, organized by Maxine Hong Kingston, Sesbastopol, CA
- Workshop Teacher, The Colrain Poetry Workshops
- Teaching Fellow, The Frost Place.
Awards & Honors
- 1993 - The Washington Prize for Poetry
- 2009 - Barnes & Noble Review Five Best Books of Poetry
- 2009 - San Francisco Chronicle Ten Best Poetry Collections of the Year
- 2009 - Mary Sarton Award for a Poet "whose work is an inspiration to other poets."
- 2010 - Commemoration Medal for the Advancement of the Arts and Literature in Vietnam