Student Health Insurance
Key Information & Details
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) is provided per an agreement between an institution of higher education and a health insurance issuer and offered to students enrolled in that institution.
SSHIP provides coverage for both medical and mental health needs through an extensive network of providers and hospital systems in Massachusetts, including extensive coverage in Boston. Each year, students must choose whether to accept or waive automatic enrollment in the Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan; students who do not take action to waive enrollment are automatically enrolled and billed. Deadlines to waive without automatic enrollment and billing are September 30th for Fall enrollment and February 10th for Spring enrollment. REMINDER: Students must also submit required immunization documentation and a Consent for Treatment of a Minor (if applicable). The Student Health Requirements Checklist [PDF] provides detailed information about all Suffolk Student Health Requirements.
SSHIP: Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA Blue Care Elect Preferred (PPO) Student Health Plan
The Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) is offered through University Health Plans. Under ACA, in determining essential health benefits, each state selects an existing health plan as a benchmark to establish an “essential health benefits package.” The Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan is compliant with the Massachusetts benchmark plan.
The “Essential Health Benefits” include:
- Ambulatory patient services, including outpatient day surgery and related anesthesia
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including both emergency and outpatient behavioral health treatment such as psychotherapy or medication management
- Laboratory Services
- Emergency Services
- Prescription Drugs
- Preventive and wellness and chronic disease management
- Hospitalization for medical or mental health needs
- Rehabilitative services and devices
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
- Maternity and newborn care
Learn more about policy coverage details, dates of coverage, and other information.