Student Health Insurance
Key Information & Details
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) is provided per an agreement between an institution of higher education and a health insurance issuer and offered to students enrolled in that institution.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA Blue Care Elect Preferred (PPO) Student Health Plan
The Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) is offered through University Health Plans. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), student health insurance coverage is being defined as a type of individual health insurance coverage that is provided as part of an agreement between an institution of higher education and a health insurance issuer, and provided to students enrolled in that institution. Under ACA, in determining essential health benefits, each state selects an existing health plan as a benchmark to establish an “essential health benefits package.” The Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan is compliant with the Massachusetts benchmark plan.
The “Essential Health Benefits” include:
- Ambulatory patient services, including outpatient day surgery and related anesthesia
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
- Laboratory Services
- Emergency Services
- Prescription Drugs
- Preventive and wellness and chronic disease management
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
- Maternity and newborn care
Learn more about policy coverage details, dates of coverage, and other information.