Internships & Careers
All Suffolk psychology students have the option to complete an academic internship—helping you lay the foundation and gain real-world experience for your future career. Many students also take advantage of non-credit internships. The Career Development Center can help you find an internship.
Recent students have interned at such places as:
- The Center for Addiction Medicine at Mass General Hospital
- The Integrated Center for Child Development
- Cambridge Women’s Center
- Think:Kids at Mass General Hospital
- The Middlesex District Attorney’s Office
- The Home for Little Wanderers
- Advances Learning Center
- Bay Cove Human Services
At its heart, psychology is the study of human behavior, and human behavior is relevant to most careers. Some graduates go on to pursue graduate study and become psychologists, behavior analysts, social workers, and mental health counselors. Others work in social and human services human resources, communications, education, health care, nonprofits, and business.
Recent graduates are currently working at as Research Coordinators, Behavioral Analysts, and Human Resources Professionals in locations including Massachusetts General Hospital, the Boston VA Healthcare System, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Weill Cornell Medicine, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Autism Therapeutic Services, Behavioral Health & Wellness Center, Advances Learning Center, Tufts Medical Center, Bond Brothers, Akamai Technologies, and State Street, as well as in educational settings in Boston-area schools. Other recent graduates have also gone on to pursue master's and doctorate degrees.
Our alumni work as direct-service professionals and leaders in a variety of settings—including clinics, hospitals, schools, prisons, college counseling centers, rehabilitation facilities, and day-treatment and outreach programs. Some graduates continue on to doctoral studies. A sampling of recent job titles and employers include:
- Addiction Treatment Specialist, North Charles, Inc.
- Investigative Specialist, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Clinical Intern, Massachusetts Correctional Institution Framingham
- Counselor Intern, Greater Lowell Personal Development Center
- Community Support Counselor, Riverside Community Care
- Relapse Prevention Technician, Whitney Academy
- Education Employment Counselor, Bay Cove Human Services
Our competitive PhD in Clinical Psychology program provides training in the core competencies students need to pursue careers in clinical practice, research, community, or academic settings.
You will find Suffolk Psychology alumni working in the mental health field at hospitals and treatment centers across the United States. Some of our alumni are currently working as:
- Assistant in Psychology, Department of Psychiatric, Mass General and instructor Harvard Medical School, Licensed Psychologist at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Associate Director of Clinical Services, Student Health at Boston University
- Principal Research Scientist, United Health Group
- Director of Clinical Services at Friends Hospital in Philadelphia
- Pediatric Neuropsychologist, Butler Hospital and Brown University Alpert Warren School of Medicine
- Licensed Psychologist at Mass General for Children and Clinical Instructor in the Department of Psychiatry and Harvard Medical School
- Director of Clinical Neuropsychology, University of Utah School of Medicine
Suffolk PhD students also earn prestigious postdoctoral fellowship positions. Recent graduates have completed their fellowships at:
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Evidence-based Treatment Centers of Seattle
- Long Island Jewish Medical
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- McLean Hospital
- Northwestern University School of Medicine
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Yale School of Medicine
- National Center for PTSD; VA Boston Healthcare