Test-Flexible Policy for International Applicants
At Suffolk, we are aware of the limitations some international students have faced with regard to standardized testing. Therefore, our International Student admission policy (as it pertains to testing) focuses only on submitting proof of English proficiency. We have created a comprehensive list of options that freshman and transfer applicants can submit to fulfill this requirement.
We only need ONE (1) of the following to complete an application:
- TOEFL iBT score (minimum required score is a 79).
- We will accept the TOEFL Home Edition version as well as the TOEFL iTP for China.
- TOEFL ESSENTIALS Score (minimum required score is a 8.5)
- IELTS score (minimum required score is a 6.5)
- DUOLINGO* English Test-DET (minimum score of 105)
- PTE- Academic with a minimum score of 54
TOEFL, IELTS, DUOLINGO and PTE scores cannot be self-reported and must be sent from the testing agency. Suffolk’s TOEFL test code is 3771.
If you have taken the SAT or ACT, you can submit either exam score (not mandatory). We have determined that an SAT EBRW score of at least 520 or ACT Composite score of 19 and higher proves English proficiency. SAT and ACT scores can be self-reported.
- IB HL English Predicted scores (if provided by your high school)
- First Language English Exams in the IGCSE or GCSE or AS/A-Level Predicted/Actual results
- B average performance in AP ENG LANG and COMP or AP ENG LIT and COMP course
If you have taken the equivalent of our WRI 101/102 course (labeled at other US colleges as ENG 101/102 or Composition 1/2) with a B or better average, you can waive the test of English proficiency requirement
If you have a circumstance not covered by the above listed options, please complete the Test of English Proficiency Waiver Request form.
Of course, the rest of the required materials such as: Official High School transcript, Official College Transcript (if applicable), Essay and Recommendation letter apply. Please refer to our Apply page for further details, or email us at [email protected].
Please note that this testing flexible policy applies to Undergraduate Applicants to both our Boston and Madrid campuses.