Post 9/11 and Yellow Ribbon Programs
To qualify for benefits, you should:
- have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and still be on active duty
- have been honorably discharged from active duty
- have been released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
- have been released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve
- have been released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces
- have been honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
Frequently Asked Questions
For undergraduate programs, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
For graduate programs, contact the Office of Graduate Admission.
Apply for benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Make sure you provide the certifying official in the RAM Registration & Financial Center a copy of your certificate of eligibility, DD-214 (discharge papers), and your benefits application. Register for classes and notify the certifying official.
If you have any questions on how your veteran benefits are applied to your tuition, please contact the certifying official in the Office of the Bursar at 617-573-8407.
Q: Can I apply for Suffolk financial aid if I'm eligible for participation in a VA educational benefits program?
“Suffolk University students may be eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon or other VA education benefits programs. In such cases, Suffolk will meet any and all required VA matching funding obligations with institutional student aid dollars. These students may be eligible for Pell Grants, state grants, outside scholarships, Stafford, PLUS, and alternative loans (e.g., MEFA). Institutional funds will not be awarded to these students to cover costs beyond full tuition, fees, and average book charges (currently estimated at $900– $1,000 annually).”
For additional information on application procedures and deadlines, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at 617-573-8470.