Post 9/11 and Yellow Ribbon Programs

You may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI BillĀ® benefits if you meet some specific standards that are laid out below. Also use the FAQ section to determine your eligibility, admission requirements, and other benefit nuances.

To qualify for benefits, you should:

  • have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and still be on active duty
  • have been honorably discharged from active duty
  • have been released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
  • have been released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve
  • have been released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces
  • have been honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001

Frequently Asked Questions

If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitation for use of benefits from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days or from your release for a service-connected disability after at least 30 days of continuous service. For individuals whose last discharge date is on or after January 1, 2013, the time limitation has been removed.

No, eligibility for GI Bill®  benefits does not mean automatic admission into Suffolk University. You must meet the admissions requirements and be accepted to the Suffolk program to which you apply.

For undergraduate programs, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

For graduate programs, contact the Office of Graduate Admission.

You may complete and submit your application online. Be sure to save your confirmation number! You may also call 1-888-GI-BILL1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you. 


Apply for benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Make sure you provide the certifying official in the RAM Registration & Financial Center a copy of your certificate of eligibility, DD-214 (discharge papers), and your benefits application. Register for classes and notify the certifying official.

If you are 100% eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and have been accepted to Suffolk University, provide your Certificate of Eligibility indicating your Yellow Ribbon eligibility to the School Certifying Official.

Once you have enrolled in classes at Suffolk, you will need the University to certify this enrollment so that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may process your payments. 

The VA will process payments directly to Suffolk University. You will need to ensure that all of your documentation is in order so that Suffolk may receive payments on your behalf. In the event you learn that you are not entitled to VA payments, you will be responsible for any outstanding account balances at Suffolk. 

If you have any questions on how your veteran benefits are applied to your tuition, please contact the certifying official in the Office of the Bursar at 617-573-8407.

Yes, students who receive VA educational benefits may apply for aid. However, certain VA benefit recipients may only be considered for Pell Grants, state entitlement grants, Federal Direct loan, PLUS, and alternative loan options. University policy stipulates: 

“Suffolk University students may be eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon or other VA education benefits programs. In such cases, Suffolk will meet any and all required VA matching funding obligations with institutional student aid dollars. These students may be eligible for Pell Grants, state grants, outside scholarships, Stafford, PLUS, and alternative loans (e.g., MEFA). Institutional funds will not be awarded to these students to cover costs beyond full tuition, fees, and average book charges (currently estimated at $900– $1,000 annually).” 

For additional information on application procedures and deadlines, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at 617-573-8470.

It will have to be reviewed and possibly revised. Please refer to the University policy above. For specific details on your award offer and potential revisions to it, be sure to contact your financial aid counselor in the Office of Student Financial Services

This is an important issue that you need ask the Veterans Administration. You can reach a VA representative at 1-888-442-4551. 

The Dean of Students Office coordinates campus services specifically for all veterans and military students. They can be reached at 617-573-8239. Learn more information about the Division of Student Affairs and its many offices. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at the official U.S. government Web site.