John Cavanagh, PhD
Professor Emeritus, HistorySend a Message
- PhD, Duke University
- MA, Columbia University
- BA, Dartmouth College
- The American South
- U.S. 18th century
- Military history
University of Tennessee
- "The Papers of Major General Benjamin Lincoln," Massachusetts Historical Society Miscellany,Vol. I, No. 8 (November, 1963), 1-5.
- "American Military Leadership in the Southern Campaign: Bemjamin Lincoln," in W. Robert Higgins (ed.), The Revolutionary War in the South: Power, Conflict, and Leadership (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1979), pp. 101-131.
- "The Battle of Cross Keys, Virginia," and "The Battle of Waxhaws, South Carolina," in David C. Roller et al. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Southern History (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1979).
- Book Review of Volumes II, III of Richard K. Showman et al (eds.) The Papers of Nathanael Greene, in The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. ILII, No. 1 (January, 1985), 149-151.
- Decision at Fayetteville; The North Carolina Ratification Convention and General Assembly of 1789 (Raleigh: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1989).
- Book Review of James A. Huston, Logistics of Liberty; American Services of Supply in the Revolutionary War and After, in the American Historical Review (June, 1992), 933.
- Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810), in Richard L. Blanco (ed.), The American Revolution: An Encyclopedia, 2 vols. (Hamden, Conn.: Garland Publishing, 1993).
- "[Hillsborough Ratification] Convention of 1788, and "[Fayetteville Ratification] Convention of 1789," in William S. Powell ed.), Encyclopedia of North Carolina (Chapel Hill: U.N.C. Press, 2006), pp. 287-288.
- Chair, Department of History, Suffolk University, 1973-1987
- President, Suffolk Chapter of AAUP, 1972-73
- Member, Southern Historical Association
- Member, American Historical Association
- Member, The Heritage Committee of Suffolk Unversity since its 1979 founding
- Professor, Academic Department, Center for International Studies, Madrid, Spain, Fall Semester, 1992
- College Fundraising Coordinator, Suffolk University Fiinancial Campaigns for 1980-81, 1984-85
- Member, Mayor Raymond L. Flynn's Boston Committee for the Bicentennial of the Federal Constitution, 1989
- Chair, Combined Social Committees of Suffolk University, 1978-1991
- Dartmouth Alumni Admissions Committee, Greater Boston, 1974-77
- Duke Alumni Admissions Committee, Greater Boston 1977-1986
- Faculty Advisor, Theta Lambda Chapter, Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society, 1971-2007