Ming Cheng, PhD
Assistant Professor, MarketingSend a Message
Dr. Ming Cheng’s research expertise lies in the areas of digital and data-driven marketing. Her research focus is centered on search engine marketing, optimization (SEO), and social media marketing – with a focus on the interplay between content and customer digital engagement.
Her research examines the online dynamics between consumers, firms, and the providers of diverse digital platforms and services. It entails the application of quantitative modeling technique to massive, unstructured data sets. She has collaborated with firms such as Wikia/Fandom, Baidu, and Microsoft (China).
Dr. Cheng’s work has been published in Journal of Services Marketing, Industrial Marketing Management, and Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. She has presented her work in notable international conferences, such as INFORMS Marketing Science, Product and Service Innovation, System Sciences, and Frontiers in Service. She has won research grants from Suffolk University and Rosenberg Institute. Before joining Suffolk University, she spent four years at Cornell University as a visiting scholar and research associate.
Honors and Recognitions
- Awarded Rosenberg Institute Faculty Research Grant, 2021
- Awarded SBS Research Grant, 2017 & 2020
- 2019 Cornell Hospitality Quarterly Outstanding Reviewer Award
- Nominee, Sawyer Business School Dean’s Teaching Award, 2019
- Academic Excellence in Teaching Award, Rutgers University, 2015
Editorial/Advisory Review Board
Ad-hoc reviewer for
- Journal of Services Marketing
- Cornell Hospitality Quarterly
- International Journal of Hospitality Management
- Track Chair, INFORMS Marketing Science Conference (2011, 2016, & 2019)
- Track Chair, Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management Conference, 2016
Professional organization positions
- Faculty co-advisor, Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Honor Society Suffolk Chapter
- Faculty co-advisor, American Marketing Association (AMA) Suffolk Chapter
Recent Intellectual Contributions
Refereed Journal Articles
Cheng, M., Liu, J.Q., Qi, J.Y., and Wan, F. (2021). Differential effects of firm generated content on consumer digital engagement and firm performance: An outside-in perspective. Industrial Marketing Management, 98, 41-58.
Cheng, M. and Anderson, C.K. (2021). Search engine consumer journeys: Exploring and segmenting click-through behaviors. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 62(2), 198-214.
Cheng, M., Anderson, C.K., Zhu, Z., and Choi, S.C. (2018). Service online search ads: From a consumer journey view. Journal of Services Marketing, 32(2), 126-141.
Anderson, C.K. and Cheng, M. (2017). Multi-click attribution in sponsored search advertising: An empirical study in hospitality industry. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 58(3), 253-262.