Colette Dumas, PhD
Professor, Management and EntrepreneurshipSend a Message
Dr. Colette Dumas empowers people around the world to effectively lead engaging change initiatives with sustainable results. Dr. Dumas has published articles in the Academy of Management Learning and Education Journal, The Journal of Leadership Studies, The Journal of Organizational Change Management, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Management Inquiry, Journal of Management Education, Family Business Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Career Development International, Case Research Journal, The Case Journal, The International Journal of Value-Based Management, Journal of Small Business Strategy, Journal of Entrepreneurship, etc.
Dr. Dumas has published 4 peer reviewed books including a three volume book series with Sage Publications on Change Leadership, and 12 peer reviewed book chapters.
Dr. Dumas has been awarded over $800,000 in research and training grants from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, the Institute for Family Enterprise, the Center for Teaching Excellence at Suffolk University, and the Seagram’s Center for the Management of Non-Profit Organizations.
Dr. Dumas has served numerous committees and task forces at Suffolk University: Presidential Inauguration Committee, the Faculty Senate, the Promotion, Tenure Review Committee, the Faulty Governance Committee, Graduate Program Committee, Undergraduate Program Committee, MBA Revision Taskforce, the Tenure Appeals Committee, Academic Standing Committee, and Research Committee.
Honors and Recognitions
- Faculty and Professional Learning Community Experiential Learning Grant, Davis Foundation, Center for Teaching and Scholarly Excellence, Suffolk University (2018-2019)
- Best Teaching Case Award USASBE and the International Small Business Journal (2018)
- USASBE - CFEE 3E Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Field of Entrepreneurship Education, Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence, George Washington University (2017)
- Case Association-Emerald Publishing Excellence in Case Study Writing Award Eastern Academy of Management (2016)
- Leadership Training Grant, Boston Public Health Commission, Office of Emergency Preparedness (2014-2015)
- Teaching and Learning Innovation Award (TEALIG) Suffolk University, Center for Teaching and Scholarly Excellence (2009-2010))
- Sawyer Business School Dean’s Outstanding Service Award (2006)
- Sawyer Business School Dean’s Outstanding Research Award (2001)
- Founding Director Center for Innovation and Change Leadership, Sawyer Business School (2000-2010)
- Service Learning Fellowship, SOULS Community Service and Service Learning Center, Suffolk University (1998)
- Founding Fellow, Institute for Family Enterprise (1995-1996)
- Endowed Chair, Seagram’s Center for the Management of Non-Profit Organizations (1993-1996)
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) grant - Fostering Graduate Student Research (1991-1992)
- Outstanding Research Award, Family Firm Institute, Boston, MA (1989)
- Phi Beta Kappa National Scholastic Honor Society (1975)
Recent Intellectual Contributions
Dumas, C. (2019) Flash Consulting: A Tool for Deep Engagement and Learning. USASBE - International Small Business Journal Conference Proceedings.
Dumas, C., Beinecke, R.H. (2018) Change Leadership in the 21st Century. Journal of Organizational Change Management., 31(4), 867-876
Dumas, C. (2017) Developing Creative Confidence and Capacity. Exercises and Practices. Experiential Entrepreneurship Exercise Journal (2).
Dumas, C., Foley, S., Hunt, P., Weismann, M.F., Williamson, A. (2015) Accelerating Collaboration to Find a Cure: A Nonprofit’s Evolving Business Model. The CASE Journal, Emerald Group Publishing Ltd, 11(1), 58-95.
Dumas, C., Beinecke, R.H. (2015) Change Leadership Vol. 1 Theoretical Foundations of Change Leadership. London: SAGE Publications Ltd.
Dumas, C., Beinecke, R.H. (2015) Change Leadership Vol. 2 Research and Theory: London: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
Dumas, C., Beinecke, R.H. (2015) Change Leadership Vol. 3 The Emerging Edge of Change Leadership. London: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
Ornstein, S., Dumas, C. (2015). Cleaning Up at Dining In. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 9(2), 47-58.