Associate Professor, Art & DesignSend a Message
Associate Professor, Interior Architecture & Design
My teaching philosophy centers around the introduction of a "cognitive apprenticeship," for students in design studios, where the classroom emulates a professional work environment. Hands-on studio experience is needed for students to master the skills they will use as interior designers. It is the only way for students to fully grasp the interior design discipline and the interrelated and interdisciplinary nature of today's problem solving for the built environment. I also champion three educational initiatives: collaborative teaching, experiential learning and international programming as part and parcel of a well rounded interior design education.
- MA, Interior Design & Resource Management, University of Connecticut
- BA, Art History, University of Colorado
Recent Professional Highlights
Hackett Interior Architectural Consulting launched in 1991, and has partnered with Payette Associates, Schwartz/Silver Architects, William Wilson Associates, Jeremiah Eck Architects and Ellenzweig Associates. Clients include Vanderbilt University of Nashville, TN; The Society for St John the Evangelist (SSJE) of Cambridge M; Catholic Charities of Boston; Christian Science Center of Boston, MA and multiple residential clients in the greater Boston area.
- 2017: ASID honoree "Educator of the Year, New England Chapter"
- 2017: North Shore Home Magazine, "Tastemaker: Design Lessons with Designer & Educator, Nancy E. Hackett"
- 2012: IIDA New England, Fashion Show Fundraiser, First Place School Entry, NESAD Faculty Mentor
- 2011: The Society for St. John the Evangelist, Monastery Interior Furnishings & Finishes, Cambridge, MA
- 2007: Boston Globe Magazine, Award "Home of the Year" Beverly, MA residence
- 2001: Vanderbilt University; School of Engineering, "Best Academic Common Areas" Award by the American School & University Magazine
- 1990: "Top Ten Award" Interior Design Magazine, The SPA at the HERITAGE, Boston, MA
- Professional Member, International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
- Certified, National Council on Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ)
- Professional Member, Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC)