Russell G. Murphy
Research Professor of LawSend a Message
Crier-Law Clerk, Honorable Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr., U.S.D.C., District of MA, 1972-73; Teaching Fellow, Boston College, 1973-74; Visiting Lecturer, Division of Continuing Education, University of Massachusetts, spring 1974; Assistant Professor, Gonzaga, 1974-75; Assistant Professor, Suffolk, 1975-77; Associate Professor, 1977-78; Associate Professor & Assistant Dean, Boston College, 1978-80; Associate Professor, Suffolk, 1980-82; Professor, since 1982; Associate Dean, 1990-94
- BA, University of Massachusetts
- JD, Suffolk University
- "Just Trying to Be Human in This Place", Too: From Inside the Law School Classroom to filmandlaw.com, 19 VA. J. SOC. POL'Y & L. 496 (2012) (with Kate Nace Day)
- Execution Watch: Mitt Romney's "Foolproof" Death Penalty Act and the Politics of Capital Punishment, 45 SUFFOLK L. REV. 1 (2011)
- International Human Rights, A Fool Proof Death Penalty Act, and the Politics of Capital Punishment, VI :1-2 JURNALUL DE STUDII JURIDCE/JOURNAL OF LEGAL STUDIES/ROMANIA (2011)
- "Just Trying To Be Human in This Place": Storytelling and Film in the First-Year Law School Classroom, 39 STETSON L. REV. 247 (2009) (with Kate Nace Day)
- Executing the Death Penalty: International Law Influences on United States Supreme Court Decision-Making in Capital Punishment Cases, 32 SUFFOLK TRANSNAT'L L. REV. 599 (2009)
- "Like Snow Falling on a Branch...": International law Influences on Death Penalty Decisions and Debates in the United States, 38 DENV. J. INT'L L. & POL'Y 115 (2009)
- People v. Cahill: Domestic Violence and the Death Penalty Debate in New York, 68 ALB. L. REV. 1029 (2005) (reprinted in Areti Krishna Kumari, ed., DEATH PENALTY: NEW DIMENSIONS, 2008).
- The Abandoned Shipwreck Act of 1987 in the New Millennium: Incentives to High Tech Piracy?, 8 OCEAN & COASTAL L.J. 167 (2003)
- Common Sense Legal Reform' and Bell's Toll: Eliminating Punitive Damage Claims from Jurisdictional Amount Calculations in Federal Diversity Cases, 84 KY. L.J. 71 (1995)
- AMERICA THE UNGOVERNABLE: HAS DEMOCRACY DIED IN THE UNITED STATES (Vanderplas Publishing, forthcoming 2014)
- VOICES OF THE DEATH PENALTY DEBATE: A CITIZENS GUIDE TO CAPITAL PUNISHMENT (Vandeplas Publishing, 2010)
- Democracy at Work, A Review of "Voices of the Death Penalty Debate [PDF]
- Report of the Focus Group on the Court System, in CONSUMERS IN THE CIVIL JUSTICE SYSTEM: A NEW AUDIT (Suffolk University Law School Center for Advanced Legal Studies, 1995)
- "Executing Capital Punishment: International Law Influences on the Death Penalty Debate in the United States", May 14, 2008, Lund University, Lund, Sweden (Visiting Lecturer).
Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi; Pi Sigma Alpha; Director, Suffolk Law School Alumni Association; Director, Action for Children's TV; Human Life Protection Com., Sidney Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA; Visiting Scholar, Harvard University Law School, Fall 1990; Scholar-in-Residence, Tulane University School of Law, Maritime Law Center, Spring, 2001; On-site Director, Foreign Law Summer Study Program, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, Summer 2006 and 2007.
- U.S. Dist. Court, Dist. of Mass.
- U.S. Supreme Court