Women's Writing Circle
We provide a safe and nurturing place for discussing truths, sharing vulnerabilities, and bearing witness with compassion and gratitude. We encourage women to embrace their authenticity and become global organizers of change and peace through personal and social transformation, community, and escaping the oppression of silence through our words.
Gathering in a circle, we will write from a series of prompts as an entry point to explore emotions, themes, personal histories, shared truths, joy, grief, shame, and those things that matter most to us in our hearts. We will then share and listen, inviting each participant to be courageous, vulnerable, and compassionate truth-tellers and witnesses to others' personal stories. This type of no-pressure, expressive writing process holds many benefits for the individual and the group.
2019-2020 Event Dates & Themes
We will hold our Women's Writing Circle events from 2 - 4 p.m. each month on the following dates:
- November 18, 2019: Mental Health
- December 9, 2019: Childbirth
- January 13, 2020: Sexuality
- February 10, 2020: Heart Health
- March 16, 2020: Menstrual health
- April 13, 2020: Abortion
- May 4, 2020: Gender-based violence
Each circle's theme corresponds to the seven core content areas of Our Bodies Ourselves Today, a world-class platform dedicated to women's health, sexuality and well-being housed within the Center for Women's Health and Human Rights (CWHHR) at Suffolk University. Our Bodies Ourselves Today combines personal stories with the most current fact-and-science-based information that address the needs of women and girls across race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, age, ability, immigration status, gender, belief, and all other distinctions. The Women's Writing Circle is proud to be partnering with the Center for Women's Health and Human Rights and Our Bodies Ourselves Today. Please register to attend.
- No writing experience necessary
- Events are free, but pre-registration is required
- Limited to 10 women per circle
- Participants should bring a notebook or laptop to write (your preference)
- Come with an open heart!
- Since these Women's Writing Circles are limited to 10 women per circle, please register only if you can definitely attend
- Please register for each date separately
Please email Jennifer Minotti with any questions.