Certificate in Graphic Design
Suffolk University's certificate in graphic design is ideal if you have some prior college-level background and/or significant employment experience in a related field. It's designed for those who don't want the extensive training of the BFA but require more focused design training to complement existing educational or work credentials.
We'll train you to use the computer as a design tool. The primary emphasis of all courses, however, remains the conceptual, creative process. Your Suffolk certificate will provide you with the practical and technical design skills you'll need to secure entry-level employment in the graphic design field.
Thanks to our flexible schedule, you can complete this program in two or more years (four semesters minimum).
To earn your certificate, you must:
- earn a minimum of 36 credits, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0
- earn a minimum of 27 credits while enrolled as a certificate candidate and satisfy all course requirements. You can apply a maximum of nine transfer or advanced-standing credits toward your graduation requirements.
- participate in all portfolio reviews and exhibit work in the Graphic Design Student Exhibition
Please note: Credits earned as an Art & Design continuing education student are considered transfer credits.
We recommend that you take no more than five years to complete this program.
Admission Requirements for Graphic Design Certificate Program
To enroll in the program, students must:
- Have earned at least 30 credits from an accredited post-secondary institution (college or university); OR be recommended in writing by supervisor(s) who will attest to the candidate’s successful employment in a related field for the equivalent of one year.
- Submit a portfolio of original artwork representing the range of your talents and experience. Those without a portfolio will be required to take 2D/Color (ADF-S166), earning a grade of B or better to waive this requirement. Candidates may also meet with the Graphic Design Program Director for a portfolio review.
- All program applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the PC and/or Macintosh computer operating systems.
- Applicants must submit an official transcript of grades from high school and each college or university attended.
- Applicants must submit a current professional resume. Each application for admission to the Graphic Design Certificate Program must be accompanied by a non-refundable $50 Certificate Program Application Fee.
- Applicants to the Certificate Program must demonstrate proficiency in English. The university reserves the right to formally evaluate candidate’s language skills as part of the admissions process. This is a part-time non-degree granting program; the university will not issue I-20’s to international students in the Certificate Program. The program will not be accelerated or altered to accommodate students requiring visas.
Courses and Requirements
Learn more about the classes, requirements, and different options available to complete the program.