Steven Spitzer, PhD
Professor Emeritus, SociologySend a Message
- PhD, Indiana University
- MA, University of Maryland
- BA, University of Maryland
- Men in Prison
- Initiation and Transformation in Correctional Settings
- Masculinity and Justice
- Gender Imagery, Role Performance and Mass Media
Professor of Sociology, Suffolk University
Associate Professor of Sociology, Suffolk University
Postdoctoral Fellow in Law and Sociology, Harvard University
Associate Professor of Sociology, University of Northern Iowa
Assistant Professor, University of Pennsylvania
- Spitzer, S. and A.T. Scull 2008. Privatization and Capitalist Development: The Case of the Private Police, International Library of Criminology, Criminal Justice & Penology (Second Series).
- Spitzer, S. 2006. Ice Men (Poem) Smudgestick: Newsletter of the New England Men’s Network.
- Spitzer, S. 2002. Reaching Men in the Shadows: Men’s Circles in Prison Settings, Section 51 Newsletter of the American Psychological Association.
- S. Spitzer. 1999. The Rationalization of Crime Control in Capitalist Society, in I. Taylor, Crime and Political Economy.
- S. Spitzer. 1996. Punishment and Social Organization: A Study of Durkheim’s Theory of Penal Evolution in A.J. Trevino, The Sociology of Law: Classical and Contemporary Perspectives.
- Spitzer, S. 1995. Security and Control in Capitalist Societies: The Fetishism of Security and the Secret Thereof, in R.V. Ericson, Crime and the Media.
- S. Spitzer and S. Hicks. 1991. Myth and Law in Integrated Studies, Focus on Law Studies (American Bar Association).
- Spitzer, S. 1979-1988 (Editor) Research in Law, Deviance and Social Control (JAI Press). Recent Oral Presentations
- Spitzer, S. 2007. Generativity Scripts in Prison Circles, Changing Lives Through Literature, Winter Training (Boston).
- Spitzer, S. 2006. In the Belly of the Beast: The Web of Demands, Interests and Meaning in Prison Work, Keynote Address, High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology (Denver).
- Spitzer, S. 2003. Healing Within: Circles Within and Beyond Prison Walls, The Mankind Project Summer Conference (Philadelphia).
- Spitzer, S. 2000. Native American Models of Justice in Urban Contexts, American Society of Criminology (San Francisco).
- 2002-present, President, Jericho Circle Project, Inc.
- 2007 Chair, Ron Hering Award Committee, (MKP New England)
- 2005-present, Research Director, “Inside Stories: The Lives of Men in Prison”
Other Activities and Awards
- 2008 and 2007 Living in Mission Grant Award (MKP New England)
- 2006 Volunteer of the Year at Bay State Correctional Center (D.O.C.)
- 2003 Ron Hering Mission of Service Award (Mankind Project International)
- 2001-2008 Organizer and Coordinator, Jericho Circle Project, Men’s Circles and Weekend Workshops at the following correctional institutions: FMC Devens, MCI-Cedar Junction, Bay State Correctional Center, Hampshire County House of Correction, Adult Correctional Institution-Cranston, Rhode Island.
Recent Grant Support
- Sociological Initiatives Foundation/Shaw Foundation. Closing the Circle: Men’s Groups From Community to Prisons to Community (2004-2005).
- Helen and Willliam Mazer Foundation. Daddy Stories from the Inside Out (2004-2005).