Zhen (Jane) Zhu, PhD
Professor, Marketing; Director of Faculty Excellence; Director of International Engagement; Co-director of Center for Innovation and Change LeadershipSend a Message
Dr. Zhen Zhu’s primary research interests lie in the field of technology and marketing integration, networks analysis, sustainability, service innovation, and innovation and entrepreneurial strategies in international contexts.
Her recent research works include trust perception of Chinese businesses in Africa, network analysis for tag word associations, and digital marketing. She has published in Decision Science, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practices, Journal of Product Innovation and Management, etc. She has won research grants and awards from Suffolk University, Wharton Customer Analytics Institute and American Marketing Association as well as high citation awards for her published works.
She currently directs Faculty Excellence and International Engagement and co-directs the Center of Innovation and Change Leadership at Suffolk University. Externally, she serves on the editorial review board of Journal of Services Marketing.
She collaborated with a number of global companies like Tencent, Bose, Blizzard Entertainment, BYD, Leica, Haier, SharkNinja, and Peet's Coffee & Teas (China) and organizations such as Development and Research Center of China State Council and Guangzhou International Tea Trading Center for student or professional consultation services.
Honors and Recognitions
- 2019 Sawyer Business School Dean’s Best Research Award, Suffolk University.
- Top 5 Cited Article Award of Journal of Retailing in the Last Three Years (2014, 2015, and 2016).
- Top 20 Cited Article Award of Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice in Last Ten Years (2016).
- Best Paper Award for the E-Commerce and Technology Track, 2007 Summer AMA Educators’ Conference.
- Editorial review board, Journal of Services Marketing (2019- )
- Associate editor, Journal of Services Marketing (2014-2019)
- Editorial review board, Decision Science (2008-2010)
- Advisory board member, Rosenberg Institute for East Asian Studies, Suffolk University (2017-2021)
Recent Intellectual Contributions
Weidner, K., Nakata, C. and Zhu, Zhen (2021), “Sustainable Innovation: Drivers, Conditions, and Impact on Triple Bottom Line Performance”, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practices, 29 (2), 141-161. (Equal authors)
Zhu, Zhen and Dmitry Zinoviev (April 2020), “Finding the Next Edge in Service Innovation: A Complex Network Analysis”, in Bridges, Eileen and Kendra Fowler (Eds.), Service Insides and Ideas. New York, NY: Routledge.
Elliot, Esi, Zhen Zhu, and Fei-Ling Wang (2019), “Inter-firm Trust between Emerging Markets: Chinese Firms in Africa”, Journal of Marcomarketing, 39 (3), 304-333. (Equal first authors)
Cheng, Ming, C. K. Anderson, Z. Zhu, and C. S. Choi (2018), “Service Online Search Ads: From a Consumer Journey View”, Journal of Services Marketing, 32 (2), 126-141.
Zhu, Zhu and Ken Matsuno (2016). Entrepreneurial Proclivity: Its Environmental Conditions and Growth Consequences. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 24 (1), 20-33. (Equal authors)
Zinoviev, Dmitry, Zhen Zhu, and Kate Li. (2015). Building Mini-Categories in Product Networks. Studies in Computational Intelligence, 597, 179-190.
- Nature+ Hackathon @Events at Suffolk