Master of Arts in Interior Architecture
Suffolk’s downtown location supports our student-centered mission to build experience through relevant, hands-on instruction that opens doors to internships and career opportunities while you can take inspiration from the city and many of its renowned design firms.
Guided by expert faculty, you will develop fluency in design process, drawing, making and the use of cutting edge digital technologies essential for contemporary practice. In addition, our program will:
- Deepen your understanding of sustainable and socially-conscious design issues
- Enhance your knowledge of design theory and history
- Enable you to develop visual and verbal communication skills
- Broaden your awareness of lighting and furniture design
- Reinforce knowledge of technical competencies and code adherence in practice
Why Study Interior Architecture at Suffolk?
In the MAIA program, you'll study with educators who are among the region’s top artists and designers, eager to share their expertise, insights, and professional connections with you. You’ll enjoy one-on-one access to these mentors and meet many practicing designers who teach our courses.
Our faculty and students hail from countries around the world. This diversity will enrich your education and provide you with valuable perspectives on the regional and global evolution of design. Suffolk’s extensive alumni network helps you identify internships at major firms across the country and beyond while you develop your own networks by participating in on-campus exhibits and attending interdisciplinary events throughout your time at Suffolk.
MAIA alumni have found success as specialized lighting, exhibition designers, and project managers at leading interior and architectural firms around the world.
The interior design program leading to the Master of Arts in Interior Architecture is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA), 206 Grandville Avenue, Suite 350, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503.
The CIDA-accredited program prepares students for entry-level interior design practice, for advanced study, and to apply for membership in professional interior design organizations. The Master of Arts in Interior Architecture granted by Suffolk University meets the educational requirement for eligibility to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) Examination. For more information about NCIDQ Exam eligibility visit the NCIDQ eligibility page.
MAIA Program Overview
Fall Semester: July 15 (International Applicants), August 15 (Domestic Applicants), then rolling
Spring Semester: December 1 (International Applicants), January 4 (Domestic Applicants), then rolling
Learn about the advantages of priority applications.
- Completed application
- $50 application fee (waived for students who visit campus)
- Goal statement (essay)
- Two letters of recommendation (Learn more)
- Unofficial transcripts of all post-secondary work. Admitted students enrolling in the program will need to have official transcripts, including proof of degree conferral, on file prior to their first class
- Portfolio (12-15 pieces of recent original artwork) submitted via the online application
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE-Academic scores (international students only)
Cost of Graduate Study at Suffolk
Full-time, per year
|Cost Per Credit (2020-2021)||$1,320|
Financial Aid for Graduate Study
Suffolk University is pleased to offer merit-based financial aid to graduate students—these awards can be up to $14,750 per academic year. Merit-based aid is awarded based on the applicant's academic credentials presented on the admission application. No separate application is required for merit consideration.
Courses & Requirements
Learn more about the classes, requirements, and different options available to complete the program.