Ereni Markos, PhD
Associate Professor, MarketingSend a Message
Dr. Markos’s research centers on consumer privacy and information sensitivity, as well as digital marketing with a focus on digital privacy and social media engagement. Her research is published in peer-reviewed academic journals like Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, Journal of Business Research and Journal of Marketing, and presented at national and international conferences. Currently, she serves on the editorial board of Journal of Consumer Marketing and Journal of Marketing Analytics.
Dr. Markos is actively involved with the business community, and regularly organizes events and engagements to connect students and industry experts. She collaborates with both local and global companies providing student and professional consulting services.
Before joining Suffolk, Dr. Markos was Assistant Professor of Marketing and Advertising at Quinnipiac University. Prior to that she co-founded a successful hospitality business after working for several years in a London based advertising agency. Outside her current academic role, she is the co-founder of a small luxury brand integrating art and fashion that is founded on sustainable and ethical principles.
Honors and Recognitions
- Research Grant, Suffolk University (2020, 2019, 2018, 2015, 2014)
- Nomination, Best Faculty Member in SBS, by Student Government Association (2018)
- Certificate, Harvard Business School, Case Teaching Method I (2016)
- Fellow, Professor's Institute, DMEF, Dallas Texas (2012)
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Consumer Marketing (2019- present)
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Marketing Analytics (2019-present)
- Trustee Board Member, North Shore Nursery School (2017- 2019)
- Co-Track Chair, Digital Marketing & Social Media, Academy of Marketing Science (2016)
- Co-Chair, IMRC Conference (formerly DMEF), (2015)
- Co-Track Chair, Consumer Behavior Track, Academy of Marketing Science (2015)
- AMA Consumer Behavior SIG, Vice President of Awards and Scholarship (2010-2013)
Recent Intellectual Contributions
Labrecque, Lauren, Ereni Markos, Kunal Swani and Priscilla Pena (forthcoming), “When Data Security Goes Wrong: Examining Consumer Attitudes, Expectations, and Protective Responses to Data Breaches,” Journal of Business Research. (135), 559-571.
Labrecque, Lauren, Ereni Markos and Aron Darmody (2019), "Addressing Online Behavioral Advertising and Privacy Implications: A Comparison of Passive versus Active Learning Approaches" Journal of Marketing Education. 43 (1), 43-58.
Markos, Ereni, Lauren Labrecque and George Milne (2018), A New Information Lens: The Self-concept and Exchange Context as a Means to Understand Information Sensitivity of Anonymous and Personal Identifying Information,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, (42), 46-62.
Milne, R. George, George Pettinico, Fatima M Hajjat, and Ereni Markos (2017), “Information Sensitivity Typology: Mapping the Degree and Type of Risk Consumers Perceive in Personal Data Sharing,” Journal of Consumer Affairs, 51(1) 133-161.
Markos, Ereni, George Milne and James Peltier, (2017), "Sharing with Different Viewers across an Information Sensitivity Continuum: A Comparative Privacy Study of the United States and Brazil," Journal of Public Policy and Marketing 36(1), 79-96.
Biswas, Dipayan, Lauren I. Labrecque, Donald R. Lehman, and Ereni Markos (2014), “Making Choices While Smelling, Tasting, Listening: The Role of Sensory Similarity or Dissimilarity When Sequentially Sampling Products,” Journal of Marketing, 78 (1), 112-126.