Student Account Credit Refunds

Any student with an actual credit balance/overpayment on their student account from Title IV aid will be refunded within 7 days, unless the student provides authorization for the University to hold the credit. Students who have a credit on their account not from Title IV aid are eligible to request a refund. First, check your current account balance on Self Service. If you are showing a credit balance on your student account, you may then choose "Request a Refund" on the Account Summary page in Self Service. eRefund accounts have to be set up in SU Pay. To set up an eRefund account click on the Make a Payment link on the Account Summary page in Self Service. You will be directed to the SU Pay portal where you can set up your eRefund account.

  • If you have an eRefund account set up in SU Pay, your refund will be deposited directly into your account.
  • If you do not have an eRefund account, a check will be issued via Checkbook and emailed to your Suffolk email address.
  • Suffolk University cannot accept international wires that over pay a student account. Wires received in excess of the term balance will not be refunded to the student. Instead the wire will be rejected and returned to the original source. If you drop a course that was paid for with a wire transfer and you have a credit on your student account that credit will be returned to the source of the wire.
  • If the credit on your account is due to a Parent Plus loan, we need permission from the borrower of the loan to refund the credit to you.
  • Students who have pending aid that is eligible to post to the account but have to wait till it disburses in order to request a refund, may request an advance of their aid up to $2000, providing they have this amount available to them.
  • Federal Title IV Aid Recipients: Any Title IV refund that is required to be made to you will be directed to the bank account submitted with your request. If you do not have direct deposit set up, a check will be issued via Checkbook and emailed to your Suffolk email address.

Please note: Students have the ability to request refunds without the consent of the primary bill payer.

Federal Title IV Refunds to Students

If you have a credit balance from the disbursement of Title IV funds to your student account at any time during the school year, Suffolk University is required by law to obtain your permission to apply the credit balance to prior year or future term charges. Learn more about the Title IV authorization and using Title IV funds toward books and supplies.

Refunds will not be available until the start of the semester for which the credit applies. To learn when your refund or advance will be available, please contact the Ram Registration and Financial Services Center.