Other Libraries

Fenway Library Organization (FLO)

The Fenway Library Organization (FLO) consortium provides reciprocal borrowing and visiting privileges for member and affiliate institutions. You can search the combined catalog of many of these libraries.

Where? Mostly in the Fenway area; includes Emerson College, which is nearby. Affiliate members, like Suffolk, are found throughout Greater Boston.

Commonwealth Catalog (ComCat)

The Commonwealth Catalog, or ComCat, is a statewide catalog for library users to find and borrow fiction, non-fiction, DVDs, CDs, and more. Suffolk University members can search ComCat for an item not owned by Suffolk and have it delivered to the Sawyer Library. Many Massachusetts libraries participate in ComCat, including UMass Amherst and the Boston Public Library. For complete directions on logging in and requesting material, check out the LibGuide.

Boston Public Library

You can use the Boston Public Library's extensive online research collection.

BPL also provides in-library access (with a current BPL library card) to several electronic databases not provided by the Sawyer Library including:

  • ISI Emerging Markets
  • RILM (Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale)

BPL Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the BPL's branches located?

The closest branches are the main branch in Copley Square and the West End Branch located across from the Ridgeway Building on Cambridge Street. Find more library locations with the BPL's branch locator.

Can you borrow books?

You must get a BPL library card in order to borrow books. Proof of residency is required to get a library card. You may bring the following items to prove residency:

  • Photo ID and proof of Massachusetts residency, which can be either a physical document or an official document available on an electronic device. A Massachusetts driver’s license or ID card satisfies both requirements. If you don’t have a Massachusetts driver’s license or state ID, you can bring some other form of ID that shows your picture and signature along with official mail sent to you at a Massachusetts address

eCards are available to anyone who lives, resides part-time to attend school, owns property, or works in Massachusetts. To apply you need to be able to prove:

  • You reside permanently in Massachusetts.
  • You are living in-state for most of the year to attend school.
  • You commute to a Massachusetts employer on a sustained and regular basis (your primary place of work).
  • You own property (real estate) in Massachusetts.

Apply for an eCard here.