Alumni Judges in Massachusetts
Massachusetts has a total of 427 current judges (39 federal and 388 state). Of those, 122 graduated from Suffolk Law—one out of four sitting judges in the state.
Boston College Law School had the next most judges, with 51 total, followed by New England Law with 47 and Harvard with 38.
The data comes from a summer 2018 review of Judicial Biographies conducted by the school.
- Suffolk Law graduates are chief justices of the highest courts in Rhode Island and Vermont, and Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Three of the five members of the Rhode Island Supreme Court are Suffolk Law graduates.
- Two of the justices on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court are Suffolk Law alumni.
- Suffolk alumni also sit on the bench of the Massachusetts Land Court and U.S. Immigration Court in Boston.
- Now retired, the Hon. Linda S. Dalianis JD ’74 was the first woman on the New Hampshire Supreme Court and was the first female chief justice.