Alumni Judges in Massachusetts
Massachusetts has a total of 440 current judges (41 federal and 399 state). Of those, 118 graduated from Suffolk Law—more than one out of four sitting judges in the state.
New England Law had the next most judges, with 53 total, followed by Boston College Law School with 46.
The data comes from a winter 2021 review of Judicial Biographies conducted by the school.
- Three of the seven justices on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court are Suffolk Law alumni.
- Two of the five members of the Rhode Island Supreme Court are Suffolk Law graduates.
- Suffolk Law graduates are chief justices of the highest courts in Rhode Island and Vermont, and Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Suffolk alumni sit on the bench of the Massachusetts Land Court and U.S. Immigration Court in Boston.
- Now retired, the Hon. Linda S. Dalianis JD ’74 was the first woman on the New Hampshire Supreme Court and was the first female chief justice.