Summer Law Registration
Summer Boston 2019 is open to current Suffolk Law students as well as non-Suffolk students who have completed the first year of law school in good standing at an American Bar Association-accredited law school. Non-Suffolk applicants must present a letter of good standing from the Dean of their law school in addition to the application for the Summer Boston program.
Notes: For purposes of the ABA residency requirement, the summer law program is equivalent to one semester. The Suffolk University Law School Galway Summer Program is not covered by section IV.A of the General Rules and Regulations.
Registration for Summer Law at Suffolk begins in mid-March on a first-come, first-served basis
To begin the registration process:
Contact the Office of Academic Services
Download the Summer Boston 2019 application and return the completed form to:
Office of Academic Services
Suffolk University Law School
120 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02108-4977
Any student may take up to 6 credits (10 classroom hours per week) without special permission. Any student wishing to take 7 credits must petition an associate dean for special administrative approval. Day students wishing to take 7 credits (12 to 14 classroom hours per week) must petition for special administrative approval.
Accelerating JD students
- Day students are required to enroll in 12–13 credits during the second Summer session (SUMMER II)
- Evening students are required to enroll in at least 10–11 credits during the second Summer session and 9–12 credits in the third Summer session
JD/LLM Tax students: All students are required to enroll in 12 credits of LLM Tax courses
Acceleration through Summer Law Program
Any evening Suffolk student wishing to accelerate through the use of summer evening law school program is advised that the approval must be obtained.
Any evening division Suffolk student intending to accelerate his or her program by one semester must complete 9, 10, 11, or 12 credits over two or three summer sessions. Evening students must enroll in a minimum of 4 credits in summer sessions.Any evening student who enrolls in 9-12 credits in summer sessions may be eligible to eliminate the final semester of study provided:
- the student enrolls in 2 summer sessions of at least 4 credits and earns a minimum of 9 credits in the Suffolk Boston Summer Sessions or
- the student enrolls in at least 3 summer sessions of at least 3 credits and earns a minimum of 9 credits in the Suffolk Boston Summer Sessions or
- the student enrolls in a non Suffolk Summer session of at least 4 credits in a 3-week session and also enrolls in 2 summer sessions of at least 4 credits in the Suffolk Boston Summer Sessions.
Application of Summer Credits to Final Semester
Any Evening Division Suffolk student attending one summer session must enroll in at least 5 credits (two courses) to reduce his or her final semester credit requirement to fewer than 7 credits and thus qualify for reduced tuition.
Any Day Division Suffolk student attending only one summer session must enroll in at least 5 credits (two courses) to reduce his or her final semester credit requirements to fewer than 10 credits and thus qualify for reduced tuition.
Any Day or Evening Division Suffolk student may apply credits earned during a summer session to his or her last semester without approval. Day students may not use Summer Session credits to eliminate their final semester.