Summer Financial Aid

Federal Direct Loans and Federal Work Study are available through the Student Financial Services Office for Suffolk law students during the summer.

Suffolk Summer School Tuition Rates

Tuition costs for the 2022 Boston summer school program are charged per credit hour. Please visit Student Account Services online for JD and LL.M. summer rates in addition to summer dual degree program charges.

Summer Federal Direct Loans

Students who enroll at least half-time (3 law school credits, or 6 graduate school credits if in a dual degree program) for Summer Boston, the Galway Study Abroad Program, a Summer Externship, or at another law school are eligible to apply for federal loans.

Please note: Borrower-based academic year (BBAY) loans are awarded to eligible students who enroll in the summer. Since two terms represent an annual loan period, a BBAY loan includes the summer and fall terms as one loan period, with the spring term starting a new loan period. Loans borrowed in the spring BBAY loan period are included in the following summer term when loan eligibility is determined.

To apply, complete the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the 2022 Summer Financial Aid Application [PDF].

Students can apply for additional summer loan funding (Federal PLUS or private, alternative loan), if desired, at any time during their summer enrollment. However, to avoid loss of registration and/or to ensure that financial aid is awarded prior to the billing due date, the FAFSA and application should be completed and submitted by March 25th. Forms submitted after March 25th will be processed in the order in which they are received. If you have any questions, please contact your financial aid counselor.

Summer: Federal Work Study (FWS) and Suffolk Public Interest Law Group (SPILG) Fellowship

Eligible students may receive $5,700 in Federal Work Study (FWS) for the summer. The Suffolk Public Interest Law Group (SPILG) Fellowship is a Suffolk Law School program that supports the FWS Program.

Many public service employers cannot afford to pay for legal summer interns. The FWS Program pays only 75% of the student’s wage and sometimes the employer pays the remaining 25% plus FICA. If the agency is not able to contribute, then the SPILG funds contribute the remaining 25%, thus making it possible for a student to work at a public service, non-profit, government agency. The SPILG Fellowship portion $1,425, is 25% of $5,700.

If you do not qualify for FWS, you may choose only the SPILG Fellowship if you qualify. If this is the case, you should contact the Professional Career Development Office. You will receive a $1,425 stipend during the summer after confirmation that you are in fact working in your internship at a qualifying agency.

In order to receive a SPILG Fellowship you must apply on Symplicity by March 11, 2022, 10:00am. If you are interested in receiving FWS, you must also file the 2021-22 and 2022-23 FAFSAs by March 11, 2022. Please note that if you are interested in receiving FWS you must also apply for SPILG. See the SPILG FAQ in the Document Library on Symplicity for more information.

Summer Federal Work Study (FWS)

In order to receive a Summer Federal Work Study (FWS) Award you must have financial need and be a current student in good academic standing. You must also plan to re-enroll at Suffolk University Law School for the upcoming year or be enrolled at least half-time in the Summer Semester.

Your financial aid counselor needs to review the 2021-22 and the 2022-23 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility. Please be sure to complete the application process by March 11, 2022.

Please note, if the SPILG Fellowship is combined with the FWS, then the total award of $5,700.00 is considered and deducted from the financial aid cost of attendance for either the summer or the next academic year. As a result students may owe a summer tuition balance or be eligible for lower amounts of financial aid during the upcoming academic year. Your federal loans will be reduced first. Please contact your financial aid counselor to discuss the effects on your student account if you enroll in a summer program or borrow loans up to the financial aid cost of attendance during the academic year.

Please note, you cannot receive both academic credit and monetary compensation for your work as a summer intern at a government, non-profit, public service agency.

Students interested in a Suffolk Clinic internship are not required to apply for SPILG funding. The Clinic staff will communicate with the Student Financial Services Office administrator. The 2021-22 and 2022-23 FAFSAs are required in order to determine your eligibility for the FWS Program.