Suffolk students are encouraged to review the Permitted and Prohibited Items list for approved and prohibited cooking appliances. Residents must regularly clean their microwaves, ovens, and stove drip pans to prevent residue buildup that could result in excessive smoke or fire.

Students may cook in designated kitchen areas and in microwaves. Students must apply fire safety precautions, including remaining with any item that is cooking and observing good cooking practices, such as, keeping stove and stove top clean and free of debris, observing proper cooking times, using microwave-safe cookware in the microwave and using cooking appliances as they are intended to be used. Please see the Permitted and Prohibited Items list for approved and prohibited cooking appliances. Residents may be held financially responsible for any building fire alarm activation or related damages resulting from negligence while cooking.