Dining Services


All residents must have a meal plan. Residents can select one of three debit system meal plans, A, B or C. Residence Life & Housing assigns all new residents to plan C. Any money left on student meal plan accounts at the end of the fall semester will be carried over to the spring. Meal plan funds remaining at the end of the spring semester are forfeited.

If students wish to change meal plans, they must complete the meal plan change form found on SUConnect provided by the Department of Residence Life & Housing within two weeks from move-in day at the start of the fall and spring semesters.

It is important that students monitor their balances to ensure they are properly budgeting for the semester. If there is a discrepancy or students are experiencing difficulty using their account, they should speak with a staff member at the Student Accounts Office.

Students may also add money to their RAM accounts. The RAM account is located on the Suffolk ID and is a stored-value, declining balance. Students can use the RAM account at all dining facilities. Funds on the RAM account can also be used for laundry in the residence halls as well as the bookstore and select off campus locations.

Residents with specific dietary requests should contact Chartwells directly at 617-305-2511 and/or ask to speak with the residence hall cafeteria manager. Residents requesting a dietary accommodation should speak with Disability Services at 617-994-6820. Chartwells is the University’s food provider.  Students can find more information regarding dining at Chartwells' website.  Hours of dining service are posted at each dining hall at the beginning of the semester.

Students who may reside in leased property may have an adjusted meal plan. There may be an alternative meal plan options for students living in leased properties. The Residence Life and Housing Services Office will advise students living in leased properties of their options.